Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Perspective on Filth and Beauty

Right, so something strange about me is that I find dirty things fascinating. One of my many goals in taking pictures is to find depravity in all that I see. It may sound a bit... cynical, but I believe that we live in a fallen world- a world that was once created for God's glory and beauty, but it has become a place of filth, grunge, sin and despair. Many people try to only take snapshots of beauty so that they'll remember only the pretty stuff. I take pictures of depravity so I always remember and remind others to remember that our place is not in this world, but beyond it--and that filth is the opposite of Christ. Consider it my small, strange contribution in attempting to point others to Christ in a visual way.

I can see, however, where some may get the wrong idea about this. Some may see that I'm trying to make their country or city look dirty and poor. I've actually gotten quite a few comments about my photography even in the States about how I make their city look bad. Rest assured I mean no harm in this and I think all that yucky stuff beautiful.

So I'd like to take the opportunity to show a few pretty pictures of Trnava, where I live. I could find much better ones but they're mostly on a hard drive somewhere, so these were taken a few weeks ago. Slovakia is a beautiful place, despite all the grungy photos I post. For you Americans, I hope I haven't given you the wrong representation of this awesome place.








No comments: