Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Snow and Things I Miss

Well it snowed AGAIN! We keep thinking that the snow is over, yet on a regular basis someone looks out the window and says, "No way! It's snowing again!". For the record, I love the snow and will miss it when it's gone. What I don't like is when the snow melts and I have to walk everywhere in the nasty muddy slush and act like I'm walking on a ice rink on the way to work. This past snow we got about 5" or so.


Something cool about Slovakia is that it's not SO different from the US that you're in a constant state of culture shock. However, I miss some things- of course I miss people and seeing everything in English and my culture but it's the little things that I miss too.

1) I miss soft towels and clothes. We don't have a dryer in our apartment (most people don't) so all of our clothes have to be dried on a drying rack in my room. The clothes and towels end up feeling like sandpaper till you wear them a while.


2) I miss free refills, fountain drinks, and complimentary water. Whenever you go to a restaurant you have to pay like $1.50 for a tiny little thing of soda or water. Boo!

3) I miss having a car--but not all the time. I love walking here, I really do....but sometimes when I'm in a hurry and need to go somewhere quick, walking across town can be maddening! I just want to hop in my Subaru and get stuff done! Like walking home from the grocery store with all my grocery bags in my hand...

4) I miss being able to strike up conversations with strangers or ask them simple questions or instructions. I can do that here, until I run out of things to say after "How are you? Where do you live? Where do you work?, etc"

5) Sometimes, once in a while, I miss restaurants like Bojangles, Arby's, Waffle House--no explanation needed here :)

6) I miss easy access to good coffee. I get good coffee when I go to Kris Lundgaard's house or if someone is kind enough to send me some Starbucks, but that's about it... and I drink it just about every day too! I miss Cup A Joe's coffee in Hillsborough.


7) I miss specialty shops. Yeah, I miss being able to go into stores who have exactly what I need with someone who speaks English. For example, I needed some specialty camera stuff and outdoor/hiking stuff and I have to find it all online which I hate. It seems like in the States you can find just about anything you want within a relatively short distance.

8) I miss English preaching. Yes I can listen to it on an MP3 or online but it's harder to find time during the week to do this...looks like I'm going to have to just do it anyway!

I'm sure I could think of more but I don't want to dwell too much on what I don't have :) I'm really doing great here--honestly. I don't dwell on the things I've listed above which I miss, but for those of you curious I thought I'd fill you in!

No comments: